Iontriding® – An Innovative Plasma Nitriding Solution
Ionitriding® is a unique method of ion surface hardening that produces a nitrided case for stronger, higher-performance tooling and components. Our unique nitriding process utilizes glow discharge technology. This innovative surface treatment can be applied to virtually any ferrous metal products. Our facility is capable of performing plasma nitriding services for industrial tooling up to 30 tons.
How Does the Ion Nitriding Process Work?
Ionitriding® (ion nitriding or plasma nitriding) is a method of surface hardening producing nitrided cases. Sun Steel’s unique process uses advanced glow discharge systems to induce electron sputtering. Essentially, the glow discharge process generates nitrogen ions that adhere to the surface of a metallic part through diffusion.
This process is performed in a vacuum vessel at low temperatures (750°-1040°F or 400°-560°C). It can be applied to any ferrous metal, including various aerospace and industrial tooling applications.
The Advantages of Our Trademarked Ion/Plasma Nitriding Process
- Increases surface hardness at values of 60-65 HRC and higher.
- Improves resistance to wear, fatigue, and corrosion.
- Lowers coefficient of friction (typical 0.10 against steel).
- Increases resistance against crack initiation, erosion, and corrosion due to compressed stresses induced by the Ionitriding process and compact formation of hard nitrided layers (case depths up to 0.025″ or 0.6mm deep).
- Advanced stress relieving in the same process.
- Offers a final product ready for use with virtually no distortion, due to lower processing temperatures and no required quenching.
- Diffusion based, rather than a coating, the case will not chip or peel and has excellent anti scoring and antigalling properties.
- Process is pollution free and environmentally safe.
- 12 Vessels, largest vessel capacity is up to 72″ H x 108″ W x 180″ L (183cm x 274cm x 457cm) and 60,000 lbs per load.
Better Tooling and Components Through Innovative Metallurgical Engineering
Sun Steel Treating’s innovative Ionitriding® process is engineered to enhance the surface of your products for higher strength and higher performance. Prior to Ionitriding®, it is necessary to know if a coating is to be applied later. For other considerations, or to learn more about our plasma nitriding capabilities, get in touch to discuss your unique project.